Ask a Dentist   »  

Had fever and feeling weak. Taking only soft foods. Front teeth was bleeding and having bad breath. What to do?

My son had a fever a week ago for two days and was weak. He started eating only soft foods and far less. Three days ago I found blood while brushing his teeth, thought it was a molar pushing through. Tonight his front teeth were bleeding. His breath has been bad since I noticed the blood. He has always had great dental checkups, last one 5 months ago. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antiseptic mouth washes and professional cleaning

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

After going through the complete history, it appears your son has developed gum inflammation upon consumption of soft food .Bad breath(halitosis)and bleeding are also part of gum inflammation only.Dentists calls this as gingivitis.

you would have noticed this develops within very short duration due to plaque deposition and poor oral hygiene maintenance.In your case your son's ill health and consumption of food has aggravated the problem.

Do not worry,In my clinic i treat my patients with similar problems in following ways.Please do the following and see the results.

Remember mild to moderate bleeding is normal in initial days,but slowly it will go on regression after following these measures.

1.Motivate your son to do brushing after each meal if possible, else good rinsing after each meal is also helpful.Brushing is the best.

2.Rinsing with antiseptic mouth washes like Hexidine(diluted) twice daily is advised,once in the night before going to bed and the second time after breakfast.

3.Please cut down on sugar in his diet. Add more of fruits and can cook them if there is difficulty in consuming raw food.

4.Please avoid, sticky food completely like chocolates,and biscuits,especially in night.

please do the above measures and check for a week,the symptoms should subside.

If you find no changes and increase in bleeding and bad odors then please see your dentist and go for professional cleaning for complete care.

Hope i have answered your query.

If there is any doubts please do not hesitate to approach.

Follow-up: Had fever and feeling weak. Taking only soft foods. Front teeth was bleeding and having bad breath. What to do? 10 hours later
He does not have plaque. We practice good oral hygiene. He has beautiful white teeth, and is always complimented by the dentist regarding how well we take care of his teeth. He started eating soft foods and eating less because he has pain in his mouth. He has autism, he has definite food preferences. He doesn't eat candy and drinks only milk and water with one small glass of pure orange juice a day. Right now when we brush blood flows, I started rubbing with a cloth to clean yesterday. He is already oral sensitive due to his special needs. We will clean after lunch now, we already clean after breakfast and dinner. We will try rubbing mouthwash with a cloth too but he there is no way we can use mouthwash properly due to his special needs and oral defensiveness. Still don't get why it would be a gum inflammation.
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics and analgesics,visit to periodontist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for reply.

your child is blessed to have such great and caring parents,i must say.

As you have mentioned blood flows while brushing,this indicates a severe gum problem, could be Periodontitis.This is painful too.

Sometimes it starts without any reason in such special patients.

Therefore please do not worry and see your periodontist(dentist dealing with gum tissues exclusively) soon.

your son may require a course of antibiotics and analgesics upon clinical evaluation.your dentist might also advise you to go for scaling(cleaning) once the bleeding is under control.

Meanwhile please continue all the hygiene measures you have been following without disturbing the gum tissues more until you see your dentist.

Do not worry,as it is completely curable,and see your dentist soon.Please let me know for further doubts.