Had femur bone broken and rod inserted. Feeling numb in both the legs. Cause?

Hi. Almost 4 months ago I broke my femur. I had surgery and and intermedullary rod insertions with screws into the hip bone and two above the knee. I spent three weeks wheeling a wheelcahir and on a walker while in hospital. This is when I started waking each morning with my hands and arms both numb with pons and needles...fir a half hour or so. I spent two months in crutches walking about 8kms a day to accompany my daughter to school on and off public transit. 3 weeks ago I switched to a cane and walk with it at least 16 kms a day back and forth to get her to school. For the last week I wake up and when I use my left hane my pinky finger gets stuck in the curl and I have to use my other hand to un-stick it. This is at the largest knuckle joint. It is painful and anxiety provoking. What wrong?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

Lack of exercise for which it was habituated could be the reason for the muscle spasm causing the little finger to get stuck.

There is no need to worry, regular exercise of fore arm muscles and multivitamin supplements to improve the nerve and muscle health would suffice.

If the condition does not get resolved after a month of exercise and multivitamin then a joint pathology like ligament disease may have to be ruled out. It is the you may have to get it examined by a Orthopedician.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Had femur bone broken and rod inserted. Feeling numb in both the legs. Cause? 44 minutes later
I have an orthopedic surgeon...whom I see
again in two weeks. This is so painful and
anxiety provoking...that is why I am askiing
you. Please help...I cannot uncurl
my little finger foe 8 hours after I wake
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Do proceed with Orthopedician consultation as planned.

Meanwhile do take a pain killer in combination with muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside. This will reduce the pain and release the spasm and provide you better relief.

Wish you good health.