Had fallen and hit temple. Off and on pain and nauseous. Area is tender and throbbing. Related?

Nov 2013

I had a fall a year and a half ago, hit my left temple pretty hard. I did not lose consciousness but was very nauseous the next 24 hours. I didn't seek medical attention at the time. Off and on the pain in my left temple returns and it has gotten worse and more frequent over the last few months. The area is very tender and throbbing. Is it possible this is still related to the fall and how worried should I be?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The throbbing headaches that you have now are unrelated to the fall one and a half years ago. So, there is no need to worry about that.

The most likely cause in your case is migraine. Since you have frequent headaches, you should start preventive medications such as topiramate, divalproex, beta blockers, etc.

It also may be a good idea to do a brain scan to exclude any other causes of headache.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad