Had fainting spell and panic attacks. What to do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Dear Dr Romic

Thank you for your follow-up enquiry about my health, I appreciated that. I have only had one more fainting spell and not many panic attacks now. I had to go to my doctor for a check up as I hadn't had one for 7 years and he thinks that a lot of my problem has been shock, as I was married for 56 years, even though I knew that my husband was going to die from cancer.

I found it very helpful that I was able to contact you and re reassured.

Thank you once again

Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXX. I am glad you are feeling better. Of course, it is not easy to get over husbands death,but you just need to be patient and find some strength to enjoy in other things, people, nature...
I know it is even worse when you had to live with someone who was dying of cancer. it definitely leaves psychological marks since you experienced his pain and suffering too. However,people suprisingly recover and after some time they remember loved ones only with smile on face and nostalgia.So I am sure you are strong and good person and that memory of your husbands and nice time that you ve spent together will help you to bear with everyday problems.
These psychological marks i ve mentioned are expected to affect your physical health. especially heart and brain. So you may feel fainting spells, heart arrythmias, hypo/hyertension, sweating and similar.
Anxiety is almost inevitable in these situations,but you need to ease it as much as you can. the best way is to spend lot of time with other people or in nature,also eat healthy fresh food,sleep enough, avoid stress and smoking. Try to use medicines for anxiety as less as you can. I am glad I could help,if you need more answers feel completely free to ask.I am here for you
Wish you good health.