Had extreme scoliosis since childhood. Bottom rib scrapes and hip bone is painful. Suggest the cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had extreme scoliosis since a teen ager and I am now 78 years old my problem now is that my bottom rib scrapes on the top of my hip bone and is very painfully the only relief is lying down with my back stretched lower than my hips, is there any thing that can be done removing part of the rib for example.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes surgical management can be done

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As you are having severe scoliosis and your bones are rubbing against each other so some intervention is required.
Firstly I will advise you, if you can use a supportive corset brace without much trouble then an operation can be prevented.

Next option is osteotomy of ribs which can be done under anaesthesia, but it may have operative risk of damaging XXXXXXX organs.
You may need to consult surgeon specialist in spine or scoliosis for operative management.

Till time consult physiotherapist who will guide for exercises and posture maintainance.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.