Ask a Urologist   »  

Had external radiation treatment for Prostate cancer. Feeling urgency, having burning while urinating. Is it normal ?

I finished my external radiations treatments for Prostate cancer. I feel good . My problem is I get at times strong urinary urgentices and have some trouble at times passing urine. at times. I may need to void 2 to 3 times to feel comfortable.I have to massage my bladder area then the urine flow increases.I have burning when I start to urinate in the palvic area where one of the beams was aimed. At times it will burn a lot up my uretha to my pelvis. I drink a lot to keep the flow going .Is this the norm and how long does it usually last. tiil I get back to some what normal again
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing.
I remember u had some problems during the course of the radiotherapy.
I am happy to note that u feel good.
The urinary symptoms are due to the effects of radiation on the bladder, urethra and the pelvic wall.
The bladder muscle could have become a little weak due to the effect and thats why flow is better when u compresses the area.
It will probably take a few weeks to get better.
Hope I answered your query, kindly get back for doubts if any. Get well soon.
DR G Srinivasan
Follow-up: Had external radiation treatment for Prostate cancer. Feeling urgency, having burning while urinating. Is it normal ? 1 hour later
thanks for you answer ! I feel a little more reasured now that I know what I am going thu is the norm.

My best Regards to you Dr.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later

All the best for everything.

With best regards,
Dr GS, Urologist