Had exploratory surgery. Ganglioglioma removed and have abnormal EEG with no seizures. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
ganglioglioma removed in Febuary. April abnormal EEG with no seizures. can you explain
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

EEG abnormalities can occur not only because of seizures, but also due to any structural damage to brain either due to surgery or tumor. So, it is not unusual to find EEG abnormalities in this case.
If you can upload the EEG report, it would be more helpful.

Please get back if you require any more information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Had exploratory surgery. Ganglioglioma removed and have abnormal EEG with no seizures. What to do? 11 minutes later
My doctors haven't shared much information with me. I have never seen the EEG readings. Neurosurgeon suggested I go back in for another and neurologist that specializes in Epelipsy is sending me to another neurologist. It seems never ending and all I want is to be normal again. Do abnormal brain waves prevent you from driving? Gangliolioma was located in my left temporal lobe and the biopsy results say the brain tissue they removed was giloma. My memory gets lost and my mind goes blank. I don't understand how a tumor can be over looked for 34 years. I have 2400 vison in my left eye and no one can tell me if that is related either. I have fought poor vision lazy eye since I was 4

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

1. Memory problem is related to the tumor, as left temporal area is involved in memory consolidation, and damage to that part due to tumor or surgery could cause memory lapses.

2. If you never had seizures, you would be able to drive, despite abnormal EEG. However, you cannot become a pilot, as those with abnormal EEG are medically unfit to fly a plane!

3. If a tumor is slow growing, it does get missed for long.

4. Your eye symptoms are most likely not related to the tumor, However, if you can upload the MRI report (before surgery), it would be more helpful.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Had exploratory surgery. Ganglioglioma removed and have abnormal EEG with no seizures. What to do? 2 hours later
With memory issues I can't describe or say much about seizures. I'm getting set up with my third Neurologist and a Endocronlogist. What hormones effect seizures ? how? Neurosurgeon thinks I have Temporal Lobe Epelipsy. I get no answers any where and all I want to do is be healthy again. How?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

I agree that diagnosing seizures could be difficult especially in your case. However, one of the methods in your case could be a long term (24-72 hours) video EEG monitoring, which the neurologist could advise if thyroid problems can worsen the memory.

I am sure that with proper treatment, you would be able to lead a normal healthy life.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)