Had excision biopsy for lump at upper back. Reported as histiocytosis with marked lymphadenopathy. Suggests?

hi doc , my mother 63 yrs old recently had an excision biopsy for a lump at upper back . she had no pain or other constitutional symptoms.
biopsy was reported as histiocytosis with marked lymphadenopathy[ Rosai Dorffman syndrome ] ; She is asymptomatic and has no lymphadenopathy.

She has past history of diabetes /hypertension / bronchial asthma/ radio ablation done for recurrent hyperthyroidism - [non cancerous ]and is on replacement thyroxine / hyperlipidemia .
No family history of cancer .
Request your valuable opinion regarding further management , because most drs i have met so far have no further clues,this entity being rare ; and have suggested close follow up.
Do i need to do any further tests . YOUR SUGGESTIONS please.
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, indeed it is a rare diagnosis and behaviour is quite variable. As she does not have any other symptoms or palpable lymphadenopathy, observation seems reasonable. However, we can do CT scans of chest and abdomen to rule out any XXXXXXX lymph node enlargement.

Even if there are any LN we can still observe her and treat only if there are symptoms. Steroids with or without chemotherapy usually work well in this scenario.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further follow up queries.