Had erection during DRE/prostate exam. How common is this?

Hi, I'm a young guy (28) who recently had to have a physical. I haven't been to a doctor in over 10 years, and like a lot of guys I was nervous about getting an erection. To my delight, I stayed erection free during the genital portion of the exam! However, something much worse happened during my DRE/Prostate exam....about 20-30 seconds after my doctor inserted her finger (super gently I must add) I ejaculated. I was not turned on at all, and I was completely flaccid.....but I had a full on ejaculation all over the exam table. She assured me it was totally ok and completely normal, and that lots of guys experience the same thing. But after searching google, I'm coming up empty handed. Seems like it's not a common occurance and I'm apparently a freak or something. How common is this? Am I ok?
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
What u experienced, as your doctor reassured you, is not abnormal, though not a common occurrence.
This method of ejaculation is used medically to get sperms from paraplegic patients who desire a child and who do not get erections as often as a normal person.
In that method, a special vibrator like instrument is inserted into the passage to get the ejaculate.
There is no need to be turned on to experience this.
Hope u r reassured now.
Wishing u good health, Kindly get back for further queries if any---

Follow-up: Had erection during DRE/prostate exam. How common is this? 5 hours later
Ok so it is not abnormal, but NOT common? How uncommon is this? like 1 in 10 guys experience this? or 1 in 100? What exactly causes this? It wasn't sexual in any way, as it didn't feel like an orgasms. It felt more like I had to pee I guess.
I was completely mortified, I could I not be?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later

Thanks again.
May be 1 in 100. As i had already written, there is no need to be sexually stimulated to get an ejaculation.
There is no exact census on this. But it is all about how the body, the nerves and the organs are interlinked.
So i don't think there is anything abnormal.
Wishing u the best health.