Had episode of high fever and coughing. Prescribed megaclav. Can I give this medicine?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My son has had episode of high fever and coughing twice in 10 days. Doctor has prescribed megaclav. Is it necessary to give him the antibiotic
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXX
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I presume this is the first time in the last 10 days that your doctor has prescribed your kid an antibiotic. Antibiotics are indicated in high fever and cough when clinical examination points towards bacterial infection .
The indicators of bacterial infection are subtle and needs meticulous clinical examination to identify the source if it is in the throat or in the lungs or ears.

Do not worry, in any case your doctor would have prescribed the right medicine as per his clinical findings.

Do follow his treatment plan as he would not have prescribed antibiotic without any reason.

Wishing your kid a speedy recovery.

DR Arun.

Follow-up: Had episode of high fever and coughing. Prescribed megaclav. Can I give this medicine? 1 hour later
The doctor had prescribed Azythromycin the first time he had fever and when I asked him if I should wait for one day before giving the medicine, he said yes. I waited a day and my son's fever was gone. After 6 days fever has come back and coughing also.
My concern is also that it could be something other than minor throat infection?
Can it be pneumonia, because he has fever upto 102 F?

Answered by Dr. Arun 4 minutes later

It could be pneumonia too or even throat / ears like I mentioned; but your doctor would have told you when you had checked your son with him if that was the case.

But if fever does not settle, do visit your doctor again to get him re-examined as new signs would have developed since the last visit.

Dr Arun

So if fever goes away with the currently prescribed medication then there would be no reason to worry?

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Hi
If fever goes away with his current medicines , I think there should be no reason to worry.
regards