Had epidural during delivery. Having bruised feeling in the injection site? Normal?

Hi. I gave birth 1 year ago and I had an epidural. I still have a bruised feeling at the injection site, I can't see a bruise, but it feels sensitive to touch (when pressure is applied), what is it, is this common?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 days later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for sharing your query with us.

Although most anesthetists say it is impossible for such an event to take place, where there is a sensation of a bruise or in some even pain at the site of an epidural, even after years from when it was given. This has been very commonly reported by many women.

I have personally seen at least 12-15 women who have complained of pain or a bruise-like feeling from the epidural site, which was administered years ago (even 17 years earlier in one such patient).

Yes this is very common, and in most patients with pain I advise a very mild pain killer (Eg. paracetamol) and it does help them. The reason explained for the same is due to a different spinal curvature in each individual, making it difficult for accurate administration of an epidural, which results in pain and/or inflammation for days/weeks/months/years.

I am really sorry you have to experience this, but we can only hope it disappears with time. If you experience any discomfort or pain, you may use something as mild as a paracetamol.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.