Had epidural and spinal discectomy. Why is there hair loss? Have a bulging disc. Will it affect my hair again?

10 years ago I had 4 epidural and 3months later had a spinal deisectemy. I experienced major hair loss.I did get 3 hair transplants because i was so devistated. I am now 30 and have a bulging disc and they want to schedule me for an epidural. I am reluctant to get it but I am in pain all the time. Will taking only one shot effect my hair loss? I am taking propecia and rogain Will that help minimize hair loss. Is there another alternative to the epiural?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 minutes later

Yes, there are many records mentioning that hair loss can occur after frequent epidural steroid injections.The exact cause of such a side effect is not known and still under research.

One more Epidural may not cause much damage and the treatment you are on is very specific for your problem.It is believed but still not proved that the blood circulation to the hairs is reduced due to epidural.

Rogain contains MINOXIDIL which is a cutaneous vasodilator and serves best for the problem by increasing the blood supply to the scalp and hence hairs.

Do continue the same , If you are using a 5% strength then do go for a 10% Rogain solution,It will help.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.