Had epididymitis. Testing revealed Chlamydia. How long can a person be asymptomatic?

Jul 2016

yes, I have a quandary I would like some help with from someone that is an expert in sexual diseases. My husband, who just came over to Canada almost two months ago, within one week of being here had epididymitis. Testing revealed chlamydia and I got tested and had it too. we've been treated, but he is trying to insist that he has not been with anyone else at least since \I went over there and we got married, that was 20 months before he had the outbreak. is this even possible that he could have had it all that time with no symptoms? I know for SURE as I got tested, that I was clean of anything before meeting him in person before we got married. I just need the truth
there seems to be some controversy over how long a person can really be asymptomatic before showing signs. Seems some say it could be up to a year (gp over here where I live), but others say once you show signs it is usually within 2 months and that NO one is ever without symptoms for almost 2 years. I just need to know. thanks.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have
r husband and yourself have been tested for Chlamydia Infection as a routine check up and were shocked to see the results of the result of the test that both of you are positive for chlamydia.

There are many instances of false positive reaction being reported which has resulted in making relations of a couple to the point of breaking and parting away.

The false positive reactions for Chlamydia being reported false positive is very common and the main reason behind it is the contamination while collecting the swab samples from cervix in females and collection urine samples in male.

False positive reactions are also being reported if the test performed by EIA method.(Enzyme immunoassay)

Please get the highly sensitive test like (NAAT) Nucleic Acid Amplification test This test is highly sensitive and there are no false positive reaction being reported.

Please get this done in well renowned laboratory.

Please do not worry and relax and try to allay your anxiety.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Had epididymitis. Testing revealed Chlamydia. How long can a person be asymptomatic? 10 hours later
I am not happy with this answer at all and you have not directed your response to the situation at hand. It was not a false positive. my husband had epididymitis which I mentioned. That is what lead to us both being tested and both coming back with chlamydia. It is not about false positives at all. I was tested before meeting him face to face which is over 2 years ago. When he had this break out we had been married for 20 months.

I want to know how long someone can be asymptomatic for before it showing up. That is my question. Some things I have been told or read state that once symptoms show that the person must have been in contact within the last couple of months. Other places state that a person can have chlamydia with no symptoms for even up to 4 years or more. Which is true. Could he have had it for more than two years and then the stress of coming to Canada, jet lag, adapting to cold weather have weakened his immune system to the extent that then the chlamydia was able to break out in his body. This is my question. How long CAN a person have chlamydia without showing symptoms. Please answer this.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 19 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.
Most of the time the chlamydia infection is transmitted through sexual intercourse with a infected person.

Normally one can have symptoms within 2-4 months of exposure and it one can be symptomless for up to 2 years which can remain dormant and flare later on.
The epididymis that your husband had may be because of other infection and not necessarily due to Chlamydia.

As regards false positive results I have mentioned the facts as per data available over the scientific forums.and various research studies done on this subject.
Thanks and Regards.