Had epididymitis. Testicles feel tender and swollen. Having sharp and stinging pain. Taking non steroidal anti inflammatory. Infection?

Jul 2016

I have had epididymitis before and suspect it is what I am experiencing right now in my left epididdymus which I have felt for the past 3 days. The testicle feels tender and I think the epididdymus is swollen. I get sharp or stinging pain on and off. It starts to hurt when I do any physical activities. I have ordered a 14 day course of the antibiotic Doxycycline 100mg so will be starting that tomorrow, this should clear it up? I have been taking ibuprofen and using warm baths to soothe the symptoms. Do you think I have drawn appropriate conclusions and I am taking the right course of action or is there anything to be concerned about? (dont think this is sexually transmitted, could this originate from urinary tract infection?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It should get resolved with this treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as Epididymo Ochitis an bacterial infection of the epididymis and Testis.

It could result secondary to UTI or following unprotected sex with a partner having vaginal infection.

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Continue taking Doxycyclin and anti inflammatory medication that you are taking and switch on to appropriate antibiotics after getting the culture report.You may need to take medications for 3-4 weeks as it takes long time for this problem to get cured.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you