Had endoscopy done and H. Ployri was found. Was on Nexium. Having rapid heart rate and shortness of breath

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had an endoscopy done and H. Ployri was found. I was on treatment Nexium Ph7 and finished the course with only a couple side effects. One been rapid heart rate and shortness of breath, which I still get from time to time. After I finished the 7 day course, I had no symptoms of gnawing or pain, no neausa, felt great. After 4 to 5 days, the feeling of rapid heart rate and shortness of breath still occur, but now I experience food like symptoms stuck in my throat. I researched online that this is still just acid reflux. After Ph7, I'm still taking Nexium 40mg (1 per day). Sometimes after I eat, I feel funny within my entire body and feel like if I should go to the hospital. I tell myself these are just side effects of nexium or acid reflux and the feeling starts to go away. I'm told to continue taking Nexium 40mg for 6 months. Should I be concerned about difficulty getting food down (only sometimes) and rapid heart rate / shortness of breath.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 16 minutes later
Hi
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
Nexium is a very safe medication.
Rapid heart rate and shortness of breath are very rare side effects of Nexium. If these side effects are persisting and troubling you, you may have to stop the medication and go for other medications used to treat acidity like zantac.

The feeling of lump in the throat is due to acid reflux. You have to take antacid medications for 4-8 weeks. You need not get concerned about it.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Had endoscopy done and H. Ployri was found. Was on Nexium. Having rapid heart rate and shortness of breath 7 minutes later
Thank you very much for answering.

This would indicate that Helicobater has been eradicated if I've had no signs of gnawing pain for over a week now?

However, the symptoms I'm experiencing now are freaking me out, because it feels like my body is shutting down, but then after an hour or two, I become right again. This happens the most during mornings. *acid reflux*

Is this due to taking Nexium medication and I have nothing to worry about and let the nexium do it's course?

Like you have mentioned, if it becomes too much, I may have to switch medications.

Again, thank you so much, as you have giving me great peace of mind.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 18 hours later
To know whether H.pylori has been eradicated , a breath test may be done.
As said earlier, the symptoms you have mentioned are rare side effects. You can continue taking nexium.
Yes, you may have to switch medications if the symptoms you have mentioned are persistent.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini