Had encounter with one with TB patient on drug therapy. Any tests required?

Hey Doc,

I have make out with a tuberculosis patient(pulmonary) - Today, for last 2 hours and she just told me that only in the end. Her explanation was it was "Ok" since she was receiving 4 drug therapy for two months already. Luckily she didn't cough even once (I tempt to behave like nothing happened and avoid going for x rays and a sputum test-that is why I am consulting you. Can I just do it, please? -I promise not to kiss her again(at least before 4 months) :)
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 34 minutes later

I do not see any reason for worry.

Normally in presence of active infection the disease can be spread when a person cough. This is because the person is having the bacteria in his or her sputum.

The good part is that normally within just about 8-10 days of regular treatment the patient stops spreading diseases and his sputum is devoid any bacteria.

In your case she is taking medication since 2 months and she seems to be free from symptoms like fever, cough etc.

One can presume that her disease is well controlled and she is not spreading the disease at present.

You can sit back and relax.

To be on safer side, in case you have symptoms like fever, cough etc.then you should visit your doctor and then get investigated. Again this seems to be very unlikely.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Follow-up: Had encounter with one with TB patient on drug therapy. Any tests required? 7 hours later
Dr. Pragnesh,

Such a relief.

A very quick question, I just read some articles that couple were not allowed to kiss when one of the pairs was receiving TBC treatment(without active symptoms) at least for 4 months and suggested cuddling and hand masturbation instead. How could it not relate to my situation.

Thank you, thank, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 11 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

A person can spread the disease only till he or she is coughing and having bacteria in to it. This is normally cleared as written earlier in about a week or two.

I do not see a problem with this.

In case of extensive tuberculosis and drug resistant tuberculosis or persons having very low immunity this period can be long and they spread infection longer. This again does not seem to be case.

Apart from all this, not all the persons exposed to infection get tuberculosis. It all depends upon the load of infection, the person’s vaccination status and over all immunity.

Please relax.

I hope this clarifies your concern.