Had embryo transfer. What drugs should I take? Can I start steroids?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Should I start steroids if I have just had an embryo transfer? What drugs should I be on?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comment regarding your query:

1) Steroid treatment following embryo transfer (ET) is usually given in poor body immune response or to increase acceptance of embryo inside womb or in case of repeated IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) failure for reasons etc. Here, decision of steroid undertaking should be made after consultation with your doctor or IVF specialist. Further, follow up visit and close monitoring are also advisable.

2) Drugs like Dexamethasone, Prednisolone etc are generally used in such case. Choice of drugs depends on immunologic cause (if any) and other associated factors related to IVF failure. Please consult with your doctor regarding this.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Had embryo transfer. What drugs should I take? Can I start steroids? 3 hours later
Thanks for your response.
Should the steroid start on the day of transfer or before? I had the transfer today and Dr said to start today but I'm not sure if this is the right protocol as it's not what I read on-line and am scared. It is a 20 dose.
Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

I have already mentioned the conditions in which steroid treatment is needed following embryo transfer. You can discuss with your doctor regarding this.

If your doctor has recommended steroid treatment from Day 1 of embryo transfer, then you can start from right now. It increases acceptance of embryo inside womb with some extent.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. Best wishes.

Dr Soumen