Had elevated pancreatic enzymes, stopped alcohol. Accidentally had rum. Further?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Just have a quetion. I've had elevated pancreatic enzymes on and on for a few years. I've finally decided to abtain from alcohol. Well the other day I ordered some cake call tiramisu, but what I didn't know was that they make it with rum. I've been doing good so far. I'm just worried that I just cause myself problems by eating that piece of cake. How much of a problem would it cause by having had that one piece of cake that had rum in it. Am I going to get an attack now.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is less likely you will develop pancreatitis

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

You have had recurrent attacks of pancreatitis. The current status of your pancreas is not known. You have not mentioned whether a CT scan was done before to see the extent of damage of pancreas.

Usually drinking a large amount amount of alcohol causes an attack of alcohol. Sometimes even small quantity can cause it. So it is difficult to say specifically what amount of alcohol would cause it.
But the amount of rum that is present in a single piece of cake is very less to cause pancreatitis.

Moreover pancreatitis occur within a few hours of drinking alcohol. In your case, since it is nearly two days since you ate the cake and you have not developed any symptoms so far, it is less likely that you may develop pancreatitis.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Had elevated pancreatic enzymes, stopped alcohol. Accidentally had rum. Further? 42 hours later
I had a CT scan of my abdomen April of last year and it said that there were no calcifications, masses, or tumors noted in my pancreas. There were no abnormalities noted in my liver, spleen, or kidneys as well.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your CT scan report says your pancreas is normal

Detailed Answer:
You CT scan report says you have normal pancreas.
And as I said earlier, the amount of rum that is present in a single piece of cake is very less to cause pancreatitis. Since it is nearly four days now since you ate the cake and you have not developed any symptoms so far, it is unlikely that you may develop pancreatitis.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini