Had electrocautery on face. Given glycolic gel. How can I speed the healing?

Last Friday I had electrocautery on my face to remove many small bumps I believe are called milia. I had this procedure done because I am getting married on August 10 and wanted a nicer complexion. I was told everything would be healed by the wedding, but I am concerned about the appearance of my face and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to speed the healing. I was given a glycolic gel (10%) to use after the first day but I am afraid this is making it look worse. The procedure was performed by a registered nurse at a medi-spa.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later

Thanks for writing here.

Any skin lesions after electocautery if done in a proper way heals within 10 to 15 days .

Healing occurs in 3 steps
1.Immediately after procedure there is some redness and swelling .
2.After 1 to 2 days lesion becomes crusted and scab forms.
3.Scab falls off within 10 to 15 days and skin reverts back to normal without any pigmentation.

For proper healing one should avoid sun exposure for few days.Soap and face wash is avoided for 5 days and face is washed only with cold water.Application of antibiotic cream for first few days is also recommended for few days.

From your photographs I can make out that lesions are somewhat more inflamed and skin seems to be irritated.

It can be either due to use of glycolic acid or due to use of more current at the time of procedure.

Stop glycolic gel completely.Wash face only with cold water.

At this stage you need to apply antibiotic steroid combination.You can use clindamycin and hydrocortisone for this purpose.They are available on counters .

You have to purchase them seperately since single preperation contaning this combination is not available.Use this combination for 1 to 2 weeks.

For better complexion of skin avoid sun as far as possible.Use a mild cleanser for face wash.Drink plenty of water and eat fresh fruits.

Do not try too much of cosmetics over your face.You can just apply kojic acid and vitamin c combination over face.You can also go for chemical peels but it is advisable to go for such procedures under the guidance of a dermatologist rather than in spa.

Hope this will solve your query.In case you have any concerns I will be happy to help you.Take care.