Had dry spot of skin under the penis head. Feels like plastic coating. Cause?

Question
Hello, Im 21 and healthy. I am sexualy active with the same partner for about a year now. We have been having unprotected sex for about 9-10 months now. Right under the head of my penis i had a dry spot of skin. Ive gotten it before with too much masterbating and it would go away. I had gotten it once or twice lately, the last time it become coated with like a plastic feeling. That went away. Me and my fiance had sex last night, this morning, the bottom of the shaft of my penis( Right above my testicles) became that same plasic feeling, i took two showers that day, kind of went away, not thinking any thing of it, we had sex again this evening and it came back. Still feels like a plastic coat on it and it kind of looks like the skin is wrinkly. I had changed detertents about a month or two ago from liquid to powder. I don't know what else could be causing it.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. One thing that is important from the description of your rash is that the rash is not itchy and is red. Secondly you got it after intercourse. From these symptoms, this rash can be due to chafing or friction rub between the genitalia with the skin and the clothes. Chafing is basically skin irritation and redness which occurs when skin rubs against skin or clothing.
Follow these methods for a quick relief from this redness:

1)     Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material.

2)     Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.

3)     You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.

4)     Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories after a prescription from your doctor are helpful in reduction of the redness and inflammation.

If there is any associated itching then I suggest you to get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist and get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings to rule out any fungal infection and a Wood’s lamp examination to rule out any erythrasma skin which may resemble both the above mentioned possibilities.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Had dry spot of skin under the penis head. Feels like plastic coating. Cause? 5 minutes later
The rash is not red nor does it itch. It just gets a platic feeling to it. Should we try using a lubircant to see if that helps? and maybe going back to my old detergent?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You can apply calamine lotion on the rash and after cleaning it properly keep it moisturized. Also wear cotton clothes and use the detergent that you were using earlier. Also use water based lubricants like KY jelly during intercourse.

Follow-up: Had dry spot of skin under the penis head. Feels like plastic coating. Cause? 12 hours later
Now that area that felt like plastic is peeling off, should I be worried?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You should not worry about the peeling off and apply plain moisturizers and wear cotton clothes.

Hope this answers your query.