Had done MRI of knees. Does findings suggest to have surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
knee mri report reads:
anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are intact.
instrasubstance linear signal in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus that does not reach the meniscal surface compatible with degeneratieve change. Lateral meniscus is intact.
small partial thickness tear involving the posterior surface of the patellar ligament at it's insertion into the undersurface of the patella. The tear involves less than 50% of the gap of the tendon, focally in the central portion of the tendon. Some intrusubstance extension distally with surrounding inflammation or degeneration.

is this most likely surgical? 45 year old very active male
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later

I am Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi, I am Orthopaedic surgeon and knee specialist. I went through the details submitted with diligence.

Since you don’t have any history of injury to your knee, your MRI findings suggest degenerative changes.

An extension knee brace for 2 to 3 weeks can lead to ligament healing
If pain persists then you will need repair of partial ligament tear surgically.

Until the time take rest, keep knee in extension position.

Hope this answers your query.