Had distal humerus fracture surgery. Had minimal healing with nerve damage which limits range of motion. Suggest?

Hello on may 21 I underwent a distal humerus fracture surgey of the right arm I also had an infection that required surgey as well two weeks later. The original break occurred march 12, it's now July Ive had minimal healing of the fracture also nerve damage from the surgey which resulted in a severe wrist drop lost of digital functions and a locked elbow.which limits my range of motion a little beyond 90 degrees ...I went from an active lifestyle to nothing ... How long is this recovery time.. And will I attain full extension of my arm I am also still very sore in my whole arm from my shoulder to my wrist but especially at the elbow
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later

It looks like the healing is still incomplete, since there was infection and there was a need to redo surgery there seems to be malunion of fracture joints. It looks like there was delayed surgery after 2 months from the original injury. What was the reason for that? It could have been better if you had posted the Xray of the fracture at the time of the injury and the present condition. Was planned physiotherpy in place all these months?

There is definitely a nerve damage now resulted in wrist drop. I am not sure if you had met the surgeon for nerve repair after elbow a revised surgery is imminent. Since you are young and a lot of years to go the healing should not be difficult. It is multidisciplinary approach from now. A team of Orthopedic surgeon, reconstructive surgeon (nerve repair), physiotherapist, pain medicine all should have a co ordinated plan. I suggest you should approach a multidisciplinary hospital where you have all the facilities to gather.

Hope this helps.