Had disarticulation of the knee. Feeling weakness and getting cluttered speech. Should I visit ER?

Nov 2013

My husband had a disarticulation of the knee on the 24th of XXXXXXX Released on the 25th; good ride home and night. Sunday confusion started, words he wanted to say would not come out, different words would. Now he has a hard time holding a glass...drops everything; is not same person. Had problem w/getting put to sleep last surgery and had a small seizure w/adavan given which helped immediately but this is different. Should go to ER? Will this go away?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

These symptoms could be due to a brain stroke- a blood clot, especially on the left side of brain.

Problem with speaking and understanding are common with brain strokes involving the left side of brain. The same can lead to weakness of right arm and leg.

A brain CT scan would help in proper diagnosis.

In addition, we should rule out any electrolyte imbalance such as low sodium.

So, it would be useful to see a neurologist for diagnosis and treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist