Had diarrhoea. Will birth control pill be effective after diarrhoea?

I took the morning after pill at 1pm today and had diahorrea around 6.30pm. I had baby 3 weeks ago so I want to ensure I don't get pregnant again. Will it still be effective after diahorrea? Should I get another one tomorrow?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 56 minutes later
Hello there.

No you should not repeat the pill.
Your pill will protect you provided you took it within the desired duration.

Diarrhea is the side effect of the pill due to its high hormone content. Having diarrhea after the pill intake will not affect its efficacy. If you did not vomit out the pill there is nothing to worry.

Efficacy of the pill depends on the duration after sex when you took the pill. If you have taken the pill within 72 hours you are likely protected from unwanted pregnancy.

I suggest you should now use done regular contraceptive rather than the emergency pills. Kindly consult a gynecologist for the same.

I hope I have answered you.