Had diarrhoea. Having abdominal pain, back pain and severe constipation. Ct scan done. Should I use stool softener?

I had diarrhea 3 days ago. At the end of the diarrhea, I had watery but there was black bits of caked like stool. I have abdominal pain, back pain and severe constipation now. I had a CT scan yesterday. The doctor said my upper olon was gross looking. His ideas are colitis, ulcerative colitis, parasitic, viral or bacterial. I need to do a stool sample but can't go to the bathroom. Should I use a stool softener. Also, I had what I think was a violent attack of food poisoning 3 weeks ago. Also, what do you think this is?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 16 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

It is possible that this episode may also be a consequence of food poisoning episode you had three weeks back. Food poisoning is usually due to bacterial, viral or parasitic infections due to contaminated food. This may lead onto a persistent infection that may not have completely recovered.

You can certainly take stool softener if you have constipation.

It is very unlikely to be ulcerative colitis, as this usually presents with blood in stools.

If you have any further query you are free to ask again.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal