Had diarrhea with involuntary movement all day and then stopped. After eating started again. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I am 65 male 210 lbs. The other day I ate a couple of bagels and some tuna with mayo. next morning woke up extremely bloated and within hours started having involuntary bowel movements(diahrrea) for most of the day.
by late night stopped going to the bathroom, felt better the next morning . Tried to eat some soft boiled eggs and 1 piece of toast, and 4-5 hours later involuntary movements started again. Now I'm afraid to eat anything just drinking water.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 54 minutes later
It appears you have probably developed food poisoning. The most likely source is the tuna and mayo bagel. It will pass in probably 24 hours. In the meantime, drink plenty of water. Don't eat if you are feeling nauseous or have diarrhea. Rest as much as possible as you may feel weak. Take paracetamol if you have a headache or any aches or pains.
The natural course of the illness is that it will resolve with these simple measures.
I hope this has helped. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger