Had diarrhea, now broken out in hives. Cause?

I had diarrhea from Friday to Saturday. Now I've broken out in hives. I'm a 61 yr old male. Were the hives likely caused by shortage of potassium in my body?

Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hives not due to potassium depletion

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.
What you are having now is acute urticaria.The most common cause of acute urticaria is food. Seafood, meat, poultry, egg, milk, apples, brinjal, strawberry, coloring agents etc are commonly implicated. It is subjective and any food can cause it. Other common causes are medicines, infections, insect bites etc.

In your case I will suspect diarrhoea (gastrointestinal infection) as first suspect followed by the food which was responsible for the diarrhoea or the medicines which you took for the diarrhoea as the triggers for your hives.
Hope I have answered your query.