Had diarrhea. Started vomiting, sweating and feeling dizzy. What could be the cause?

i had diarrhea and at the same time felt like i was going to vomit, then i went dizzy and clammy sweating. then within a few minutes my hands started to tingle and then went completely much so that I could not move them....almost like my hands/fingers were paralyzed....this went away after about 10 minutes. What might have caused this?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 45 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I understand your concern

This is due to loss of electrolytes due to diarrhea. You can check your serum electrolytes like serum sodium, potassium, calcium etc. You need plenty of oral rehydration if your ant vomiting or else intravenous replacement. You do not need to worry, you will improve. You may consult a local physician for the needful

Hope this clarifies your query
Best wishes
Follow-up: Had diarrhea. Started vomiting, sweating and feeling dizzy. What could be the cause? 44 minutes later
So you are saying that my hands went sooo numb that they were rendered pretty much paralyzed THAT quickly from an initial bout of diarrhea?? AND within 5minutes?? I didnt have enough diarrhea that I would have lost that much electrolytes and potassium....I'm not exaggerating when i say i could not move my fingers what so hands looked like that of a stroke victim; all curled up with the thumbs curled in under the fingers...i could NOT move my fingers to unlock the door so that my husband could get in to help me! would there have been any chance of a mild stroke? thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 12 hours later

Thanks for the feed back

Your problem can be solved by a clinical interview with a neurologist and then a physical examination. If the symptoms are suggestive of stroke, you need to get MRI scan of the brain which will pick up the diagnosis. It is worth checking electrolytes while being investigated. Please note that a physical examination and a clinical interview will clarify the picture better

Best wishes