Had diabetes during pregnancy. Had an abortion. On insulin. Can I move to oral pills for pregnancy?
User rating for this question
Hi, i am 26yrs female ,detected diabetes at time of pregnancy.Was pregnant for 7 weeks aprox. Due to complication had to get abortion done. I have high anti TPO(antibody-238) detected in my recent test. I am having insulin(Hum insulin) 10 unit morning and 8 unit in night, this keep my diabetes in control. Can i stop insulin and move to oral pills, will this create complication in future pregnancy. Kindly suggest.
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 19 hours later
It needs to be determined first whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. There are special blood tests that can help ascertain this. If you have type 2 then oral pills are an option. However before attempting pregnancy again you must strive for good glucose control for best outcomes.
With regard to your thyroid, you need to get your thyronorm dose optimized. Your body's requirement of this medication may go up by 30-50% during pregnancy so the moment you find out you are pregnant you should start taking 2 extra pills per week and contact your doctor. A blood test called TSH will allow you to know if the dose is correct or not. The TSH targets are specific to each trimester of pregnancy.
Regarding both these conditions it is important that you see an endocrinologist in person who will provide expert management.
People also viewed
- Hot flashes when puking
- Getting diabetes during pregnancy
- Dua to control diabetes during pregnancy
- Rohu fish and thyroid
- White covered bowel movement stringy
- Ovarian cyst rupture green bowels
- Hypothyroidism and iui reason for failure
- Gestational diabetes during pregnancy symptoms
- Enlarged prostate bowel cramping
- Symptoms of diabetes during pregnancy
- Diabetes during pregnancy
- Flapping hands short stature
- Crystal meth use and frequent bowel movements
- Shaking and hot flashes when hungry
- What does a chunky bowel movements