Had developed pain in groin while lifting weight. What can be done?

General Surgeon
My son is a Marine and lifts weights at a gym daily. He called today to tell me he developed pain in his groin while lifting. Does this needs to be checked out by a doctor, or should we treat it as a muscle strain first?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It can be a muscle strain indeed. However groin pain while lifting (especially after gym training) can be a symptom of inguinal hernia.
Due to weak tissues (some people have weaker tissues than others - it seems to be hereditary) and increased pressure in the abdominal cavity (during lifting heavy objects), intestines and fatty tissue from the abdominal cavity can get pushed out of it. In the groin there is a potential area which allows intestines to get out that is why hernia is most common in the groin.

Typical symptoms of inguinal hernia are a lump in the groin (visible usually only when standing and coughing) and pain in the groin.

Please ask your son to perform simple test. Ask him to put a hand in the groin and push it gently while standing and try to cough. If the movable lump will be palpated, hernia it is (however lack of the lump does not rule hernia out).

I suggest your son to visit general surgeon for physical examination. In case of doubts, ultrasound of this area should be done. In a meanwhile he should avoid lifting heavy objects.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had developed pain in groin while lifting weight. What can be done? 31 minutes later
Thank you so much. He's 2000 miles away from home, I spoke to him by phone and relayed your advice. He thanks you also! :)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
You are welcome. Hope your son will get well soon.