Had developed goiter and thyroiditis. Taking omega softgels. Having noise intolerance. Cure?

Excellent

Question
hi. about 7 years ago i developed a goitre (an enlarged thyroid) and about 5 years after that (2 years ago) i developed thyroiditis but by the time i saw an speciliast it was too late for chemical lab tests and medication cause my thyroid started balancing out that day (took about 4 months). I started taking omega-3 softgels about a month ago and last week when i saw my family doctor i talked to him about my noise intolerance and how it was a lot worse when i was having symptoms of thyroiditis two years ago and that it's better now but it's still there and he told me "dont worry it'll get better" then i asked him "you mean it'll get better but get worse again?" and he said "unlikely". i'm surprized cause 2 months ago when i saw him he said that he believes that my thyroid will get hypoactive in the future based on it's history but now he's saying that my noise intolerance will get better and won't get worse. i know that noise intolerance is a symptom of both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. i have a feeling that my family doctor thinks that my thyroid problems will go away (including my goitre) because now i'm taking omega-3 softgels is this possible? thanks bye. I started taking omega-3 softgels a month ago.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 41 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in. Im not sure if noise intolerance is directly related to your goitre or thyroiditis. Noise intolerance isnt a common symptom either of hypo or hyperthyroidism.we wont get any where if we try to find the solution for noise intolerance thru thyroid medicines. Repeated thyroiditis make hypo active thyroid more likely and in future you may require medicines for hypothyroidusm. If gland is enlarged and nodular, surgical option may need to be considered. omega 3 softgels is a right option. So your treatment is in right track. Only that i believe noise intolerance is not related to thyroid &you cant find a solution to that by thyroid medicines. So if ots bothering see a physician so that it is properly evaluated and treated.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Had developed goiter and thyroiditis. Taking omega softgels. Having noise intolerance. Cure? 10 hours later
thanks for your reply. well the way my doctor spoke to me made me feel that because now i'm taking omega-3 my thyroid will not get hypoactive in the future or it'll take a long time for that to happen (eg atleast 15 yrs). anyways i have no idea why i have hashimoto's disease. in my family no one has thyroiditis ( i had it 2 years ago). my mom has an enlarged goitre and she takes levothyroxine and my dad had hyperthyroidism but he had radioactive iodine treatment and it turned his thyroid hypoactive so now he takes medication for hypoactivity. can you tell me why i have so much difficulties with my thyroid? when i had thyroiditis 2 years ago my thyroid was fluctuating between hyperactivity and hypoactivity and then i was told that i have hashimoto's but unfortunatley it was too late for medication when i saw an endocrinologist and my thyroid started balancing out that day but i have been going through other medical problems that are related to hashimoto's. can you tell me why i've been having so much difficulties with my thyroid? no one has had thyroid problems in my family as bad as i've been having them. thanks bye

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 31 hours later
You are right. Hashimotos usually doesnt lead to many problems apart from causing hypothyroidism. But as you said its caused many problems.Im sorry you had to weather all this. Now we have to forget the past & think about future. In future its likely you will become hypothyroid and need treatment for the same.Other than that future looks bright for you. So chher up. We will face things as they come by. Why worry now on things we cant control.
Shivaprasad