Had developed cough. Found enterobactercloacae in lung. Possible treatment?

General Surgeon
My husband has just been informed by a chest consultant that he has enterobactercloacae in his lung. He developed a cough in April after we returned from a visit to Thailand and Australia. The consultant said e has never before seen this in the lung as it is usually in the gut . . . He said it is resistant to most anti biotics. I am wondering where we can find the best possible treatment . . And quickly. My husband is an exceptionally fit 49 year old playing squash and racket ball at county level. I am extremely worried and would appreciate any advice
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would like to have some more information.

Detailed Answer:
Regarding Enterobacter cloacae ,as per medical literature it can cause lower respiratory tract infections. Though it is a member of normal gut flora, it can cause variety of infections like urinary tract infections, skin infections, bone infections, eye infections etc apart from respiratory tract infections.

First of all, I would like to know that how did he come to a conclusion that the infection is due to that specific bacteria? Whether Culture has been done? IF Culture is done, then what is the result of Sensitivity test to antibiotics?

Though it is resistant to most antibiotics, Aminoglycosides like Gentamicin may act on it. Cefepime is another antibiotic which is effective.

So, nothing to worry.
Please send his sputum for Culture and sensitivity if at all it is not done before.
Please send me full details that how did your chest consultant diagnosed Enterobacter cloacae.
What are the investigations that are done to establish the diagnosis?

Hope I answered your query.
If you have any questions, I will clarify further
Wish him good health and speedy recovery
Follow-up: Had developed cough. Found enterobactercloacae in lung. Possible treatment? 2 days later
My husbands consultant performed a bronchoscopy and took tissue samples from deep within the lungs and also sputum tests. . . This showed enterobacter cloacae.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use appropriate antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

Even if culture reveals resistance to most antibiotics, I would use antibiotics like cefepime and gentamycin. His treating doctor will know about the drugs.

Wish him speedy recovery.