Had depo shot. Noticed delayed and brown bleeding. Can I take primolut to stop the bleeding?

Question
I had depo shot approx. 2 months ago and didn't have any bleeding. Then 10 days ago started brown bleeding, with no signs of easing. I understand this is a side effect, but can I take Primolut to stop the bleeding? Ive used this before the depo and they work well for me, but will it help me now? if not, then what can I do to stop the bleeding?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 20 minutes later
Hello
Welcome and thanks for the query

Yes it is a side effect of depo shot as it is known to cause delayed periods and irregular bleeding.You can take tranexamic acid orally under doctor's prescription for 5 days to stop the bleeding.If it still persists then you can switch over to progesterone or Primolut N as mentioned by you.Do not forget to take iron supplements.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Had depo shot. Noticed delayed and brown bleeding. Can I take primolut to stop the bleeding? 1 minute later
thank you for your answer. I already have Primolut here at home, is it ok to just start taking it now to stop the bleeding straight away while I am waiting for a doctors appointment?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 17 hours later
Hello and welcome once again

If the bleeding is troubling you much then you can take Primolut N , otherwise wait for another 2-3 days and it might stop on its own.

Best wishes