Had dental surgery. Started sneezing non stop after receiving novocaine shot. Shot bothered nerve in sinus/nostril?

ENT Specialist
I had dental surgery yesterday on my front tooth. When I received the novocaine shot, it really hurt. After the novocaine wore off, i started sneezing non stop. When i breath through my nose i get a sensation (tingling) and then the sneezing starts. it is only one nostril, the same side the shot was given. Could the shot have bothered a nerve in my sinus/nostrail? What can i do to stop the sneezing and tingling in my right nostrial?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 10 hours later

Firstly, the Novacine shot is unlikely to bother the nerve of the nose. So you do not have to worry. Although the literature does not talk of these specific symptoms as a side effect, even if it is a side effect due to Novacaine usage, it should stop in a reasonable time.

Secondly, it could be completely unrelated to the novacaine itself; there could be allergies to various other components of the drug. Also you could have picked up some other allergen which your nose is recognizing as a foreign object and reacting this way.

I suggest you wait for one more day. I understand your concern on the sneezing but if the condition limits by itself in a day then you do not need any intervention. Please write back to me if your condition improved or if there are other symptoms in a day. I shall try to evaluate and answer. You may also have to visit an ENT specialist then who could have a close look and thorough clinical evaluation.