Ask a Dentist   »  

Had dental surgery. Removed the impacted teeth. Jaw feels raw and stiff. Normal to be pain?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I had dental surgery at hospital 2 weeks ago to remove the impacted teeth top and bottom the oral surgeon decided it was too much of a risk to remove 4 canine teeth so he left it. now jaw is very saw and stiff. Is this normal for me to be in pain for this long.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 23 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Post-operatively dental surgery can be very painful. Both at the site of the removed teeth and the temporomandibular joint which is the joint of the jaw. There will be bruising in the area which may take a couple of weeks to clear up.
I suggest you take paracetamol and ibuprofen for pain relief.
If you feel there is localised pain related to the area of one or other of the removed teeth then there may be an infection. In this case I would advise a visit to your dentist to have it checked.
I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger