Ask a Dentist   »  

Had dental surgery. Fixed bottom dentures. Having selling and lumps. Taking antibiotics. Had lymphatic drainage. Suggest

I had dental surgery two months ago when they took out 12 of my teeth. I have had problems ever since. I went back to have The stitches removed two weeks after the extraction. At that time they had to refit the bottom dentures as they no longer fit. I went home and then with in a day swelling up so much that I was not able to put the bottom dentures in. I continue to have swelling and lumps in my mouth and along the jaw line. I feel as of I need to Stretch the area in front of my ear in order for the ear canal to be open. I am going back to the dentist tomorrow and I do t know what to do or ask for but this is crazy. I was on Anabiotic for a week after my initial surgery I have also had lymphatic drainage done as well as tried Acupuncture just to relieve some of the swelling and "nothing has helped though.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later

As per the given history, the feeling of stretch, in the area in front of ear is probably due to swelling underneath. It could be a simple infection due to residual root pieces or could be due to muscle involvement, too.

As you have already taken course of antibiotics, it is advised to start another course only after clinical evaluation. There might be a need of change of antibiotic upon culture sensitivity tests.

Also, I would suggest you to consult an oral surgeon. Please take an x XXXXXXX and Full mouth OPG (Oralpantograph) x XXXXXXX to see the underlying pathology.

As there could be involvement of temporo mandibular joint also due to its location, near the ear. Therefore it becomes mandatory to get it well diagnosed for the cause.
An oral surgeon can guide you better after seeing your x XXXXXXX whether it is dental infection or if required might refer you to ENT specialist.

Meanwhile rinsing with antiseptics is very helpful.

For further query please let me know.

Follow-up: Had dental surgery. Fixed bottom dentures. Having selling and lumps. Taking antibiotics. Had lymphatic drainage. Suggest 15 minutes later
Thank you. What about the knots in the lower jaw area? It is like a kernal feeling.
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for reply.

The kernal feeling in your lower jaw could be due to the uneven alveolar bone proper. The tooth is embedded in the jaw in bony sockets (alveolar bone).

When the teeth are extracted, socket takes the shape of open cavity and takes around six months to heal properly by forming bone there.

That is the reason, why dentist usually crush these bones after extraction so that it heals faster.

Do not worry it will heal with time. The only concern is swelling and stretches feeling for which you must see your oral surgeon.

If further doubts please let me know.