Had dengue fever. Platelets dropped down. Will this infection leave the antigen in my body?

Question
I HAD DENGUE FEVER IN LAST DECEMBER 2012 IN DELHI,INDIA WHERE I STAY AND I WAS INFECTED WITH DENGUE VIRUS 1 AND GOT FEVER UPTO 104 FOR 3 DAYS AND AFTER FEVER SUBSIDES MY PLATLETS DROP DOWN TO 80,000 AND NEXT DAY 0000 BUT AFTER THAT IT STARTED INCREASING AND INCREASED TO 80,000 AND SO ON. NOW I FEAR THAT I MIGHT HAVE A DENGUE AGAIN AND I HAVE READ SECOND TIME DENGUE ATTACKS MUCH SEVERE AND A PERSON MAY DIE , BUT SOME OF DOCTORS TOLD ME THAT DENGUE DOESNT HAPPEN AGAIN IN LIFE AS IT LEAVES INSIDE ANTIBODIES AND PROVIDE IMMUNITY TILL VERY LONG IN LIFE, IS THAT TRUE OR NOT???
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned.
There are different dengue viruses, you stated that you were infected with the serotype 1. There are four serotypes and infection with one results in immunity to that particular serotype and short term immunity to the others.
This means that you are immune to dengue serotype 1 but not the other 3 unless you were previously infected with one of those.

A person may have dengue fever simply or dengue hemorrhagic fever. Dengue hemorrrhagic fever can occur more commonly in persons with previous history of dengue but it is associated with a very low mortality rate once it is identified and treated (the mortality if treated is 2 to 5%).In dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) there is bleeding and leakage of fluid from the inside to the outside of the blood vessels.

The symptoms start off similar to dengue fever ( fever, muscle aches and pains, eye pain, rash). In DHF there would resolution then reappearance of the fever, pain in the abdomen, restlessness, drowsiness, vomiting, bleeding.

If you feel as though you are experiencing a second episode of dengue , then you would need to have your blood count and platelets monitored every day for any changes. You also need to watch for any of the symptoms described above.

Once you and your doctor are vigilant, you should be perfectly fine.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Had dengue fever. Platelets dropped down. Will this infection leave the antigen in my body? 11 minutes later
Dr you said it has short-term immunity to other serotypes , that means for how long 1 year or more ? , also i use deet repllent on my neck and arms daily to avoid getting infected again , is deet repellent gives 100% perfect safety against mosquito when applied on body?. Also it has been said that DHF appears due to dehydration when not enough fluids a person gets , so if have DHF ever then can i get cured at home only with taking lot of fluids ? and is it important to get admitted in hospital when have DHF?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Hi, no the immunity is not for a year,it is for a few weeks to a a few months (2 to 3), it is difficult to predict who will have an immunity for weeks and who will for months, so you may or may not be immune at this point.

DEET is highly effective and would practically eliminate the possibility of a bite.

If DHF is diagnosed by your doctor, you need to be in hospital because it would be associated with a XXXXXXX decline in your platelets and other blood indices. You would not able to receive enough fluids orally and would require iv fluids. It is very important to be in a hospital if DHF is diagnosed.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Had dengue fever. Platelets dropped down. Will this infection leave the antigen in my body? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr , i got useful information about dengue fever
pls advice me how to prevent getting infected with dengue again in lifetime ?, also i have heard guava juice and papaya leaf juice increase platlets count effectively , if that true? , also i want to ask that last i got my platlet count checked was 2,83,000 and i know some people around me have platlet count soo high 4,00,000 so what is reason basically for this?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
With regard to the platelet count of 283 000 , this is fine because the normal range is 0000 to 0000, so yours is within the normal range and is fine.

The only way not to become infected is not to be bitten by the mosquito that transmits the virus. This may involve ensuring that there are no open containers with water where you work or live that mosquitos may use as breeding grounds, use of window screens to prevent them from entering your house, use of a mosquito net when sleeping and the use of a repellant.

Red and white guava is thought to increase the platelet count though more medical studies would need to be done to confirm this, papaya leaf juice is also thought to increase the count but again medical studies need to done to confirm.

You can ask anything else