Had dengue fever. Normal sgpt and alkaline phosphatase with borderline sgot level. Concerned

General Surgeon
Thank you. I have borderline high level of SGOT 41.9, but my SGPT is ok 31.3... I have over last few years always had higher levels of bilirubin . Bilirubin total ( 1.72) and direct (0.31) . I had typhoid in 2003 and had symptoms of dengue ( drop in platelet counts) 3 months ago
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 41 minutes later
I saw your LFT report.
Your SGPT,GGT and Alkaline Phosphatase are normal.
Though SGOT is 41.9,it is of not much significance.As per literature,SGOT will be moderately elevated in Dengue fever.So,it might be coming to normal levels.
Platelet count will be dropped in Dengue.
Dengue some times affects Liver and can cause its damage.
In your case,Liver involvement could be the reason for mild elevation of Bilirubin levels also.
As the values are just above the upper limit,nothing to worry.
All the elevated values will come down in course of time.
In the mean time,please avoid drugs,Alchohol etc which damage the Liver.
Please take Liv 52 syrup and observe.
Wish you speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Had dengue fever. Normal sgpt and alkaline phosphatase with borderline sgot level. Concerned 7 hours later
Thank you doctor. I had also enclosed reports indicating high cholestrol and very high iron. Is the high bilrubin combined with abovee an indicator of some liver damage?

Please note my bilirubin levels were reported high even before dengue but sgot and sgpt were normal. Iron was never tested before. do I need to be very worried?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 23 minutes later

As per your second report, it is clear that your Iron and % transferrin saturation are high. It can be due to Liver disease, Multiple blood transfusions, iron injections etc. You should get excluded from a rare condition called Haemochromatosis, a genetic disease where in Liver damage will also be present.

Raised SGOT and SGPT levels indicate Biliary tract pathology commonly. They are raised in Obstructive jaundice patients. As they are normal and only Serum Bilirubin is raised along with Iron, Liver damage should be considered.

Please consult a Gastroenterologist, show all your reports and get a proper and correct diagnosis.

Wish you good health