Had delivery through C-section and suffering from severe back ache and pain in legs. Remedy?

Mar 2016

My wife had delivered a baby boy 5 mnths ago with cesarian. she is suffering from severe back ache and pain in legs. is there any remedy to cure this pain. she gets tired soon.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Low back pain (mostly around lumbar region) is quite common among women who have undergone C-section. It occurs soon after spinal anesthesia or presents as late complication. If backache occurs suddenly within few days, then possibility of delayed pain from spinal anesthesia is quite rare.

We need to rule out other reasons of backache and leg pain like muscle spasm, sciatica, gout, bursitis, strain or sprain, electrolyte imbalance, over weight or recent weight gain, arthraglia, vitamin D & calcium deficiency etc.

She needs to undergo some test like blood sugar & serum electrolyte, RA factor, blood uric acid & ESR, vitamin-D & serum calcium assay, X-ray or CT scan of lumbar region (extreme case) etc. These will help to elicit the exact underlying etiology. You can consult with her doctor for proper guidance regarding this.

TREATMENT : I prefer to treat my patient with following regimens:

1) Water intake should be increased up to 3 lit/ day for better hydration and circulation. Water mixed with salt & sugar or electral powder is preferable.

2) Take balanced diet with low protein content. Control body weight by regular light to moderate exercise or yoga.

3) Apply muscle relaxant gel like Relaxyl DA Thermogel etc and keep hot water bag or ice-pack around low back region or other joints for effective result.

4) Painkiller medication like ibuprofen or diclofenac with antacid to get relieve from pain for temporary purpose.

5) Calcium supplement may be added depending on the lab test result. It is quite useful in some cases.

6) Stretching massage and adequate bed rest are needed. You can consult with massage therapist or physiotherapist regarding this.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through