Had delivery and prescribed Diane 35 because of PCOS. Read it should not be taken while breastfeeding. Suggest?

Mar 2016

I had a baby 10 weeks ago and was just prescribed Diane 35 because I have PCOS. But now reading the leaflet it says I shouldn't really take it while breastfeeding.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diane-35 is contraindicated on breast feeding.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Diane-35 (combined Oral Contraceptive Pill) is totally contraindicated while you are on breastfeeding. It contains Cyproterone acetate (anti-androgenic drug) and Ethinylestradiol (estrogen component). Both are transferred into the milk of lactating mother. They also reduce the quality and amount of breast milk.

Second thing, small portion (about 0.2%) of the maternal dose will reach the newborn via breast milk on established lactation, corresponding to a dose of about 1 mcg/ kg. It may cause feminization of male baby in long term use.

To summarize, you would stop DIANE-35 at the earliest to avoid adverse effect on baby. You can take other contraceptive method like Progesterone Only Pill or XXXXXXX pill. It is better to take treatment for PCOS after breastfeeding over. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist regarding this.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience and answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through