Had delivered and did not use abdominal belt after. Had huge stomach during pregnancy and now its saggy

Mar 2016

hi I had dlivered 3 years back, after my delivery I did not use abdominal belt and during my pregnancy I had increased 20kgs and I had huge stomach also since baby was big (4.43kg birth weight). So my stomach is saggy and now I am 67kg height is 5.4inches.
If I start using normal waist belt will my stomach reduces and will it help to remove sagginess please advice. Before concieving my weight was 60kg.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Waist Belt Does Not Lose Your Weight.

Detailed Answer:

Following delivery of your baby, you have gained weight 7 kg and now presents with saggy stomach. It is a common problem among some percentage women.

No, waist belts does not make you lose weight. However, they can create a temporary illusion of weight loss by creating more sweat.

Here, I give you overall guidance which you will follow strictly to get effective result:

1) Do regular physical exercise by means of jogging/ treadmill/ running/ walking for 1 to 2 hrs. You should continue this for 6-12 months continuously. This will be more effective for weight reduction.

2) Do regular abdominal muscle stretching exercise for toning and shaping rectus abdominis & oblique muscle. It will be done for 5 to 10 min daily for best result.

3) Include Ab Exercise by means of captain's chair, bicycle maneuver, exercise ball crunch etc. Reverse crunches recruit more muscle fibers than basic crunch and will give better results, specially for mid section. Keep, your stomach muscle tight during this exercise.

4) Exercise for Transverse Abdominis, which is the deepest layer of abdomen and need to strengthen. It will help to flatten and tighten your stomach. You can do this in following way:

a) Lie down on supine position with bending knees and feet will be on mat about 1 ft from your buttocks. Take deep inhales to push up your stomach & exhales to relax with pulling in the same (50 times at single round).

b) Along with, you need to tighten pelvic floor muscles by Kegel exercise. These are basically used to tighten muscles to stop urinating.

c) Try to hold your breathing without releasing contraction of your abdomen and pelvis. Do practice regularly with 10 to 12 times.

5) Take balanced diet with avoidance of unhealthy fat and high calorie food stuffs. Drink more water, eat fresh fruits and vegetables. You can consult with a dietician for proper diet chart.

6) Avoid mental stress or depression/ emotional upset by yoga or meditation. Take sound sleep 6-8 hrs daily for complete relaxation.

7) Some condition like hypothyroidism, diabetes, hypertension and other metabolic causes should be ruled out by relevant investigation like thyroid profile, blood sugar etc. You can consult with physician regarding this for supportive treatment.

Hope, I have guided you with proper instruction. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen