Ask a Urologist   »  

Had davinci hysterectomy due to proplasped uterus. Feeling burning and itching. On vesicare. Suggestions?

Jul 2016

I had a Davinci Hysterectomy Apr 3rd because of a prolasped uterus. Uterus, cervix and ovaries removed. From the minute I was first out of bed to walk I leaked urine around the catheter even. Came home, leaked ocassionally and then started leaking everytime I walked. No leak when I am laying down or sitting. My urologist did a macroplastique, stopped urine leakage for around two weeks but feel burning and itching inside like I am allergic to the plastique and also leaking has begun again, worse than ever. Go thru 8 to 9 large pads a day. Urologist thru scope can find nothing wrong and put me on vesicare which I have not taken yet as thought I may try acupuncture first. Urologist thinks my bladder is spasming altho it is not painful except for the burning and itch I have inside which is getting better. I read on the internet this may be caused by nerve damage affecting the message my bladder is sending to my brain. I am quite depressed about this and my urologist seems good but I question what happened to me in this surgery as never had a bladder leak before.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone Hysterectomy for prolapse uterus and since then developed incontinence of urine.

Subsequently you had undergone sling surgery and your problem was corrected to some extent for only 2weeks.and now leaking continuously .Most likely it is due to injury to the sphincter of the urethra and change in Vesico- Urethral angle and loss of pelvic muscle tone.

Please get urodynamic study and cystometry done to assess the tone of the sphincter urethra and Detrusor muscle instability to confirm the diagnosis .

Please discuss with your Urologist about the feasibility of putting artificial sphincter to have continent bladder which is last remedy to resolve your problem.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you