Had darker skin tone during pregnancy. Darker skin tone continues even after delivery. What to do?

When i was pregnant since 5 month i got lot of changes in my skin skin toine became darker..i asked my gync regarding this,she said it will be controlled after delivery.but now it has been seven months after deliver i didnt noticed any changes in myskin tone...By seeing me every one can point out that i have became darker.. Please suggest why this happening..what i have to do.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 35 minutes later

I understand your concern regarding the skin pigmentation and I hope I will be able to help you in the same.

Now your problem is regarding skin pigmentation.
Firstly I would like you to understand that during pregnancy, there are various hormonal changes that our body goes through. Skin pigmentation is the result of these hormonal changes that take place in our body.

Skin pigmentation in pregnancy is a very common problem. Most people tend to develop some degree of pigmentation during pregnancy although the intensity lends to vary in different individuals.

You have been rightly guided that mostly this pigmentation reverses after pregnancy.
But in some patients, it may tend to persist. But you need not have to worry about it. There are various treatment options available for the same.

Since you must be lactating your child at present, so there are various treatment options which cannot be used in your case at present. However, we can start with milder options which are not harmful for your baby.

You can start using a lightening agent containing kojic acid and vitamin c over the affected areas twice a day.
In addition, make sure that not always use a sunscreen with spf more than 26 before you go out in the sun.

In addition, taking oral vitamin c supplementation also helps.

I am sure that the above treatment will be of help to you.

If you have any other query, please feel free to ask.

Dr Geetika Paul