Had cyst removed from the middle of my calf muscle, got hit on nerve. Why I am getting leg pain?

6 days ago I had a small cyst removed from the middle of my calf muscle, on my left leg. it's was a 20min op, I was given a local, and in the middle of the procedure felt immense pain as the surgeon apparently hit a nerve, while removing the cyst. The cyst has been sent for a biopsy (results monday), but the doc said it looked fine, and totally benign. On the 2nd day after the op, I started to get sharp pains in my leg, just below the site of the cyst whenever I stretched out my leg whilst walking. The leg has now started to turn a yellowish color, and I'm still feeling this shooting pain, as if someone is stabbing me with needles from time to time - but, only when i walk. the area is still somewhat numb, too. Can you help me think what might be causing this please? I'm very worried.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Pain and numbness is due to the operation .Some local nerve fibres are usually damaged during the removal.
But if you develop painful swelling of the local area along with fever then the site might be infected.
Please take rest,avoid walking and keep your legs elevated.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.