Had cyst lower jaw and underwent surgeries. SGPT and SGOT are elevated. Taking Liveril. Suggest?

Hello doctor
I had a cyst in my lower jaw & underwent 3 surgeries ( for removal of cyst & bone grafting). Process took appox 12 months to complete. In the beginning of the process to till now my SGOT & SGPT are
Date           SGOT          SGPT
11.07.2012     44          77
05.10.2012     47.2          97.2
08.05.2013     74          93.3
01.06.2013     79          117
03.07.2013     82          138
(total protein-7.8, BCP-4.6,Serum Globulin-3.2,Ratio-1.43, Total Bilirubin-0.59, Diec Bilirum-0.17, GGTP-GAMMA GT-47, Alkaline Phosphate 103)
All other parameters of lipid profile & LFT are normal. I am not fat, I don't take alcohol & very careful on fat intake. Last one month, I am on restricted diet, with no fat, no alcohol etc. I have been taking Liveril tab 2 times daily, but there are no improvement.
Please advice & thanks a lot XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

First of all, I want to reassure you that usually mildly or sometimes even moderately elevated liver enzymes do not hint towards any serious or long term liver problem.

There are some minor conditions which also cause mild elevation in SGOT and SGPT, some of which include Cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection, Infectious mononucleosis which are viral infections, being overweight, taking OTC drugs like Paracetamol etc.

In your we need to exclude some other possibilities for elevation in SGOT and SGPT apart from Alcoholic hepatitis and due to excess fats (which will not be in your case) such as:
Cholelithiasis (Cholecystitis (inflammation of gall bladder), autoimmune hepatitis, Hypothyroidism etc.

Generally, there would be 10 - 100 times than that of normal in SGOT and SGPT elevation in case of acute hepatitis and <10 times than that of normal in case of obstruction in bile circulation.

I suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist to exclude all the possibilities by undergoing physical examination and investigations like ultrasound etc.

Hope this helps!