Had cut mole on face, applied dettol and antiseptic but the area is dead and black. Suggested Efficort

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I cut a mole on my face near my nose while shaving and to stop the blood flow, I applied Dettol followed by Mistdress Antisceptic Spray Bandage (Lidocaine 1%, Centimide 0.1% and Polyvinyl Polymer 2.8%). It caused skin of applied area go dead and black, the skin which came from beneath is also Dark Brown in color.
I showed this to Dr S.C. XXXXXXX and he asked to apply a cream "Efficort" on it. I have been applying it for 3 days now and the Skin color is still dark brown.
The start dat eof Incident is 5 Aug'13, I consulted doctor on 16th Aug and am continuing the use of cream he gave me till now.
Meanwhile I was using Vicco Turmeric cream on it before consulting the doctor.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have post inflammatory hyperpigmentation

Detailed Answer:
You seem to have developed post inflammatory hyperpigmentation due to cutting of mole and application of bandage
Efficort is a steroid cream which helps in initial stages of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
As almost 15 days have elapsed without much response with the same, I would advise that you may try using hydroquinone cream in night and Kojic acid vitamin c combination cream in morning. Regular use of these should help in decreasing the pigmentation in a couple of weeks.

Also I would like you to attach an image of concerned area so that I can analyse the concerned area and give more personalised advise.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Had cut mole on face, applied dettol and antiseptic but the area is dead and black. Suggested Efficort 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

I've uploaded a picture of the affected area under upload new reports section. Kindly go through it and recommend the required action.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is PIH.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
As I said it is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation only.
As advised earlier use of hydroquinone cream 4 percent like melalite forte in night and Kojic acid vitamin c cream like kojivit in morning would help.
You may also go with spot Glycolic acid or trichloroacetic acid spot peels.
Hope that answered your query.
Should there be further questions, please write back.

Follow-up: Had cut mole on face, applied dettol and antiseptic but the area is dead and black. Suggested Efficort 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Once last query is that, do I need to use spot Glycolic acid or trichloroacetic acid spot peels?
Or use of hydroquinone cream 4 percent like melalite forte in night and Kojic acid vitamin c cream like kojivit in morning would be enough?

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
initially start with medicines

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Initially I would advise that you start with the prescribed creams. Use these for two to three weeks to see how much reponse you achieve. If the lesion almost clears away, peels wont be required but if lesion persist, go with spot peels. In any case topical medicines have to be used even if peels are required as these make the peels more efficacious.

Caution has to be taken while applying medicines. If it leads to any redness or irritation over affected area discontinue the use for few days. The irritation usually happens because of excessive application of topical medicines.

Hope that answered your query.