Had cut in hand. Have difficulty swallowing and stiffness in jaw. Could this be tetanus?
User rating for this question
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sore throat Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It is unlikely that the sore throat and cut on your finger are related to tetanus. Plus the stiffness should also be present on the finger where you have got the cut (local tetanus). The sore throat is because of the Steptococcal infection, please continue taking the antibioitics as prescribed. Sometimes the stiffness of the jaw in a throat infection could be because of the involvement of the tonsils and the posterior pharynx. I also suggest you to 1. Gargle your throat with betadine gargles three times a day 2. Avoid eating cold food and beverages until you are better 3. Keep yourself warm I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. Regards
Follow-up: Had cut in hand. Have difficulty swallowing and stiffness in jaw. Could this be tetanus? 15 hours later
How long should it take for the medication to take effect? I'd I don't feel better in a few days should I go back to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Follow-up: Had cut in hand. Have difficulty swallowing and stiffness in jaw. Could this be tetanus? 25 hours later
thanks today I have stiffness in my neck and jaw and arms, should I be concerned or is this related to the strep?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Not related to strep Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply and update Stiffness of neck, jaw and arms is not related to the strep but it is unlikely to be related to tetanus as well, because in tetanus the stiffness is typically ascending and not descending. In the sense, you will find stiffness first in arms, then neck, then jaw, etc and it is extremely fast. I would not be able opine on whats causing the stiffness without examining you, please re visit your doctor as soon as possible I hope I was of help Regards
People also viewed
- Numbness in jaw and difficulty swallowing
- Gynaecosid what is the funtion
- Treatment and cure for tubercular abscess
- Difficulty swallowing saliva
- Treatment and cure for skin sepsis
- Mometasone furoate for pimples
- Treatment and cure for testicular abscess
- Treatment and cure for scrotal abscess
- Treatment and cure for traumatic meningitis
- Lymphedema relation to spinal fusion?
- Skin peeling in labial frenulum mouth
- Stiff neck difficulty swallowing
- Propranolol funny smell
- Headache stiff neck difficulty swallow
- Difficulty swallowing during pregnancy