Had cut in hand. Have difficulty swallowing and stiffness in jaw. Could this be tetanus?

Question
cut myself with a kitchen knife earlier in the week on Tuesday on my hand. Today I woke up with a sore throat v and stiffness in jaw. could this be tetanus? Went to urgent care tested positive for strep throat. is that most likely all it is?
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sore throat Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It is unlikely that the sore throat and cut on your finger are related to tetanus. Plus the stiffness should also be present on the finger where you have got the cut (local tetanus). The sore throat is because of the Steptococcal infection, please continue taking the antibioitics as prescribed. Sometimes the stiffness of the jaw in a throat infection could be because of the involvement of the tonsils and the posterior pharynx. I also suggest you to 1. Gargle your throat with betadine gargles three times a day 2. Avoid eating cold food and beverages until you are better 3. Keep yourself warm I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me. Regards

Follow-up: Had cut in hand. Have difficulty swallowing and stiffness in jaw. Could this be tetanus? 15 hours later
How long should it take for the medication to take effect? I'd I don't feel better in a few days should I go back to the doctor?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Brief Answer: 1 week Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply It will take about 1 week for the throat infection to start showing signs of improvement. If it worsens or continue spiking fever even after 5 days of antibiotics then please approach the doctor. Regards

Follow-up: Had cut in hand. Have difficulty swallowing and stiffness in jaw. Could this be tetanus? 25 hours later
thanks today I have stiffness in my neck and jaw and arms, should I be concerned or is this related to the strep?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Not related to strep Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply and update Stiffness of neck, jaw and arms is not related to the strep but it is unlikely to be related to tetanus as well, because in tetanus the stiffness is typically ascending and not descending. In the sense, you will find stiffness first in arms, then neck, then jaw, etc and it is extremely fast. I would not be able opine on whats causing the stiffness without examining you, please re visit your doctor as soon as possible I hope I was of help Regards