Ask a Urologist   »  

Had cut foreskin which has healed. Now its tight and hurts when pulled back. Suggest?

Psychiatrist
Question
I cut my forskin not to long ago and now it has healed up it has become very tight and hurts slightly to pull it back when flaccid but it is impossible to pull back when erect, I'm worried its scar tissue that is permanent, please help
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give wound time to heal completely

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

The foreskin is very thin and sensitive skin and any cut in it heals by scar formation as you are experiencing. At first I would like to know how big was the cut and how many days back you had it.

Further it would be important to know if you have taken any medical opinion and treatment for the same. As there can be infection and delayed healing, I suppose you have also taken a course of oral antibiotics, which is important.

If your wound is just a few days old and in flaccid state, the foreskin is getting retracted completely (with a little amount of hurting) then there is no serious problem. On the other hand if it is too tight even in flaccid state, you must consult a surgeon. A tight foreskin may lead to severe tightening (phimosis) and infection (balanitis).

You may wash your genital area with warm water twice a day and keep it dry. This is to prevent any infection. Also, please do not disturb the healing scab else it may start bleeding.

Hope your initial query is answered.
Please do write in with an update.

Dr. A. Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Had cut foreskin which has healed. Now its tight and hurts when pulled back. Suggest? 22 hours later
The wound is around 1-2 weeks old so it has healed fully but it is now extremely tight to pull back flaccid and impossible to pull back erect, it is obvious where it has become right due to a ring been shown where it is pulling excessively, also where the wound was is now rough and dosnt feel like it is elasticated like the other area. what can I do to regain flexibility?
Follow-up: Had cut foreskin which has healed. Now its tight and hurts when pulled back. Suggest? 10 hours later
I was wandering if you had chance to read my reply? Thankyou

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medical attention necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Since the penis and foreskin are important parts of your body, taking medical attention would be most important. Any infection must be excluded by clinical examination.

Though slow stretching of the foreskin is suggested, it may not work for every one.

Steroid creams may soften your foreskin if the scarring is mild; stopping the cream, however, may result in a return of the condition.

Antibiotics may be needed if swabs show any evidence of infection.

If the condition does not improve even with above methods, a surgical opinion may become necessary.

Hope your condition shows improvement.

Dr. A. Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Had cut foreskin which has healed. Now its tight and hurts when pulled back. Suggest? 19 hours later
What type of medical attention should I seek? Just a regular doctor or would an hospital appointment be required?
Thankyou

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Hospital appointment is best

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX
Sorry for replying late.

Please consult a general surgeon or urologist for you situation. A hospital appointment would be best for you.

Hope to serve you better.

Get well soon
Dr. A. Rao Kavoor