Ask a Dentist   »  

Had crowns and veneers to fix two teeth. Will the new treatment change the look?

Hello Dr Grief, This is actually a dental question. Unfortunately, I've made the mistake of crowns and veneers only to fix two teeth (not good)...should've gone with bonding. Just trying to understand how difficult it would be to lower my gum line back to where it was and start over with new crowns that aren't so tall(!). My dentist said i needed that , although I didn't realize what it would look like until he was he kept insisting it would not change the overall bite/feel but would fix two teeth , therefore fixing the "look XXXXXXX Thinking of going to another dentist before I go with my finals (in two days). any guidance s always appreciated.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 11 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I would suggest that you should go for proper treatment. Your dentist is right. The new treatment will not change your look which it means it wouldn’t look artificial. As far as the gum line is concerned, it needs to be proper, neither too low nor too high. Otherwise, it would look artificial. This is not something which is difficult to achieve.
I don’t think you need to worry. You will be happy with the results once the treatment is done. Please follow the instructions of your dentist carefully.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Had crowns and veneers to fix two teeth. Will the new treatment change the look? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX

what do you mean my proper treatment? i've actually seen a 2nd dentist today and he said my current dentist should not have done 6 teeth but 2 or 4 or 8...apparently 6 is not the norm for a good visual. He actually ruined 4 good teeth to repair 2(!) I hope I am happy as you mention, but the gum line is concerning as is the bulkiness. Thank you again, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

As a dentist proper treatment refers to making sure the crown inserted are permanent as to avoid repeated breaking of crowns.

Since the second dentist agrees there is an esthetic problem concerning gums - gum line / bulkiness, this can be corrected.

The best method to correct this esthetic concern is to approach an endodontist / cosmetic dentist in your locality. Esthetic problems with your current dental correction like smile, smile line, gum line, front teeth placement, front teeth size, shades and appearance, etc. will be considered by them and if any significant problem is found, the endodontis / cosmetic dentist will be able to correct it. I am sure with their help you should be able to get a better and satisfactory results especially in relation to esthetics / appearance.

So if the second dentist is not an endodontist / cosmetic dentist, I suggest you to consult one whenever feasible for correction.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further any questions, I will be happy to help you.

Dr.Gunjan Gupta