Ask a Dentist   »  

Had crown put on molar of upper teeth, sensitive to cold and molar below also needed crown, Took Tylenol

I had a crown put on my 2nd molar of the right upper teeth about 3 months ago. It was sensitive to cold. The molar just below it also needs a crown and there was some pain associated with that tooth. Sometimes it felt as though the pain radiated to the top crowned tooth. This weekend, severe pain both top and bottom. Took 1000 mgs. of Tylenol ever 4 hours for pain. Today, less pain but I've noticed my upper pallet is swollen on the right side. I have a dentist appt. today. My question, since I've already spent $1500 for that crown if a root canal is needed could it just be pulled and an implant be put in. My insurance won't cover a crown and a root canal on the same tooth in 3 months.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,you may go for extraction followed by implant

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in.

Your symptoms indicate that your upper second molar has got abscess.In case you want to conserve that tooth,it requires removal of cap followed by good antibiotic therapy and if possible prolong the next steps of treatment. This is a feasible option only after your dentist confirm the status of affected tooth.

I would advise you to go for proper examination of tooth & then go for the option whichever is feasible for you.
To avoid this problem,in lower molar get root canal treatment first followed by capping.

As far as treatment is concerned, you need not be worried since it is curable. But before planning any treatment discuss with your dentist about the best possible feasible solution.

Hope I answered your query,

Dr.Neha Sumra